Monday, June 18, 2012

Sunday June 18, 1775

Day 170


~Abigail Adams to John Adams~
The day after the Battle of Breads and Bunker hill. 
 
Dearest Friend                                                                                             
Sunday June 18 1775  

The Day, perhaps the decisive Day is come on which the fate of America depends. My bursting Heart must find vent at my pen. I have just heard that our Dear Friend Dr. Warren is no more but fell gloriously fighting for his Country-saying better to die honourably in the field than ignominiously hang upon the Gallows. Great is our Loss. He has distinguished himself in every engagement, by his courage and fortitude, by animating the Soldiers and leading them on by his own Example. A particuliar account of these dreadful, but I hope Glorious Days will be transmitted you, no doubt in the exactest manner.
   The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong-but the God of Israel is he that giveth strength and power unto his people Trust in him at all times ye people pour out you hearts before him. God is a refuge for us. Charlstown is laid in ashes. The Battle began upon our intrenchments upon Bunkers Hill, a Saturday morning about 3 o’clock and has not ceased yet and tis now 3 o’clock Sabbath afternoon.
   Tis Expected they will come out over the Neck to night, and a Dreadful Battle must ensue. Almighty God cover the heads of our Country men, and be a shield to our Dear Friends. How mandy have fallen we know not; The constant roar of the cannon is so distressing that we cannot Eat Drink of sleep. May we be supported and sustaind in the dreadful conflict. I shall tarry here till tis thought unsafe by my Friends, and then I have secured myself a retreat at your brothers who has kindly offerd me part of is house, I cannot compose my self to write any further a present. I will add more as I hear further-


Spelling mistakes are not my fault! I just had to get that out there.

Well Bye, 
®achel

No comments: