Thursday, October 18, 2012

I should not have sought him...




"When I was coming to Christ, I thought I was doing it was doing it all myself, and though I sought the Lord earnestly, I had no idea the Lord was seeking me. I do not think the young convert is a first aware of this. I can recall the very day and hour when first I received those truths [of the doctrine of election] in my own soul–when they were as John Bunyan said, burnt into my heart as with a hot iron, and I can recollect how I felt that I had grown on a sudden from a babe into a man–that I had made progress in scriptural knowledge, through having found, once for all, the clue to the truth of God. One weeknight, when I was sitting in the house of God, I was not thinking much about the preacher's sermon. The thought struck me, How did you come to be a Christian? I sought the Lord. But how did you come to seek the Lord? The truth flashed across my mind in a moment–I should not have sought him unless there had been some previous influence in my mind to make me seek him. I prayed, thought I, but then I asked myself, How came I to read the Scriptures? I did read them, but what led me to do so? Then, in a moment, I saw that God was at the bottom of it all, and that he was the Author of my faith, and so the doctrine I have not departed to this day, and I desire to make this my constant confession, 'I ascribe my change wholly to God.'" 

~Charles Spurgeon~

 

 

Well Bye, 
®achel

 

 

 

No comments: