Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Day 3

 Yankee Doodle
       Written by: Anonymous 1775 poem


Father and I went down to camp
Along with Captain Goodwin,
And there we saw the men and boys
As thick as hasty pudding.

Chorus*
Yankee Doodle keep it up,
Yankee Doodle dandy!
Mind the music and the steps,
And with the girls be handy!

There was Captain Washington
Upon a slapping stallion,
Giving orders to his men,
I guess there was a million.

Chorus*

And there they had a swamping gun
As big as a log of maple,
 On a deuced little cart!
 A load for Father’s cattle.

Chorus*


And every time they fired ti off,
It took a horn of powder;
 It made a noise like father’s gun,
Only a nation louder.

Chorus*

And there I saw a little keg.
 Its heads were made of leather-
They knocked upon it with little sticks
 To call the folks together.

Chorus*

The troopers, too, would gallop up
And fire right in our faces,
It scared me almost half to death
To see them run such races.

Chorus*

But I can’t tell you half I saw;
 They kept up such a smother,
 So I took off my hat, made a bow,
 And scampered home to mother.

Chorus*
Yankee Doodle keep it up,
Yankee Doodle dandy!
Mind the music and the steps,
And with the girls be handy!

Well Bye,
®achel

No comments: